Saturday, January 15, 2011

Foodie Adventures: Chicken and Dumplings

A few weeks ago my wife wanted me to make chicken and dumplings. I am not a huge fan of chicken and dumplings but I would go to the ends of the earth for my wife. So I started "Googling" to find a good recipe. Now you don't know this yet, but I am a mad scientist type cook. If I don't have an ingredient, I try to find a substitute. If it has a very unhealthy ingredient, I try to find a healthier substitute. Most of the time no one is any wiser, other times it is a failure.

For example, I made vegetable soup and my wife wanted some biscuits to go with it. I don't make biscuits often as they are not healthy if they are made correctly. I "Googled" a recipe and I only had fat free milk. I have made biscuits with soy milk. The biscuits looked great. They tasted horrible. Strange soy milk aftertaste. That was unexpected.

Anyway, I found a recipe online and I changed it some and it turned out great. Everybody raved about the chicken and dumplings. My wife wanted me to make it again yesterday, but I misplaced the original recipe I found online. You would think I could improvise and come up with it again, but I really don't remember what I put into it other than chicken and frozen (but defrosted) biscuit dough.

So we went to Cracker Barrel for lunch. I am not a huge fan of CB usually, but my wife is and that is all that matters. She, of course, had chicken and dumplings. I had the Cracker Barrel Sampler, which is meat loaf, chicken and dumplings, and country ham. I added turnip greens, fried orca, and brown rice. The brown rice was cooked with mushrooms. It was great.

No comments:

Post a Comment