Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Windows Run Line Commando

I have always found it faster to run many commands via commandline or a DOS command window than to do Start, Programs, Accessories, Notepad (for example). Start, Run, Notepad cranks up fast and I don't have to take my fingers from the keyboard. I have also written some batch files that do some amazing things. I need to become a wizard on PowerShell.

Someone asked me about sysedit. Strangely this still exists in Windows XP but I see no trace of it in Windows 7. It isn't on my Mac either, ha ha. So I explain about msconfig and how those config.sys and autoexec.bat files are no more and if they exist at all it is because you may have a 16 bit program that for some reason you have clung to for dear life. And of course, there is dxconfig to tweak Direct X settings as well. So I was Googling around to find other command line options. I was amazed to see a long list for XP (most still work on Windows 7). I have used many of these before but I don't really considered them commandline options. But if you can kick it off via Start, Run, it is pretty cool.

Here are over 100 Windows Run Commands

If you want to control what starts up on boot, then these utilities are a great way to resolve and keep a watchful eye.

Startup Monitor This monitors things that attempt to put themselves in Run Once or HKCU/Run or HKLM/Run. So many things try to run on Start up. Granted this program is really XP-ish and hasn't really been rewritten to be used on Windows Vista or Windows 7. But I am using it and it is working.

Additionally is the Startup Control Panel. This is an easy way to tweak after the fact. Granted in Windows 7 it takes some changing of the view in Control Panel to see it but it still a great program.
When you install this on Windows 7, you will have to right click and choose "Run As Administrator" in order for it to copy its cpl file into the correct Windows directory.



If you really like to tweak things or you really want to find that peskey trojan that is still running after running antispyware software ten times, HijackThis is another way to go.


WARNING: THIS CAN REALLY MESS UP YOUR COMPUTER IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With HijackThis you can tweak what starts and what doesn't every time your computer boots as well as often track down evil things that are starting that should not be.

No comments:

Post a Comment